Who is Adewale?Published by Clay Cane on Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 12:00 am.
Those Brits, they sure got some talent over there — Idris Elba, Thandie Newton, Djimon Hounsou, etc. Well, they are all not 100% Brit but they were raised in the area at some point and eventually made it to the States.
The latest Brit on the rise is Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, who plays Heavy Duty in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, which is in theaters this Friday. The former model is already a respected actor, but he is about to reach comic icon status with G.I. Joe and rumors that he will star in the film version of the comic book Black Panther — playing Black Panther. He is definitely someone to get to know. In case you don’t know a lot about Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, here are ten facts.
1. His parents are from Nigeria, but he was born and raised in London.
2. His name: Ade- the crown, wale- has come home, Akin- warrior, nuoye- of chieftaincy, Agbaje prosperity and wealth.
3. He received a Master’s degree in Criminal Law before pursuing acting.
5. He turns 42 on August 22nd.
6. Adewale got his big break as Simon Adebisi in the hugely successful prison drama Oz on HBO. Adewale was praised for his performance as the violent, emotional and sexually adventurous character. It boggles the mind that he, nor anyone else in the main cast of Oz, received one Emmy nod for acting.
7. Adewale was also Mr. Eko in ABC’s Lost. He received rave reviews for the role and was loved by fans, but left the series after the death of both his parents.
8. Adewale sings and writes music; he says, “that’s my passion, that’s my love.”
9. According to Wikipedia, Adewale practices Buddhism.
10. Adewale is on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheOneTripleA
Click here for all things G.I. Joe — trailer, quiz and scenes.