Interview: Tia Mowry talks ‘The Game’

Published by Michael Arceneaux on Monday, June 8, 2009 at 12:00 am.

tia3It’s not easy to walk away from a project you feel didn’t reach its full potential. Such is the case for Tia Mowry, who worked aggressively alongside her cast mates, production staff, and dedicated fans to convince the CW to spare The Game of cancellation.

Mowry played Melanie Barnett on The Game for three seasons.  In addition, she is a television veteran who is known for her role in Sister, Sister.  Mowry has seen it all in the fickle land of network television and says, “I do feel like I have been the product of a show being cancelled too early. I have been the product of a show that seems like everybody loves and we have a huge audience.”

Sadly, unless the CW has a sudden change of heart or some network steps in and scoops the series up, the future of Melanie, Derwin, and the new baby in their lives will be left to the imaginations of fans — both sad and angry to see their efforts to save The Game go unsuccessful.

I had the opportunity to speak with Tia on Friday, and while she expressed disappointment with how the series was treated she remains positive about her experiences working on The Game and the future it has helped provide for her.

In Tia’s first interview since the cancellation, she talks The Game, how race may or may not have factored into its cancellation, and how some need to learn about the game of comedy.

How and when did you find out the show was canceled?

I found out about the show being canceled the night before the CW had released their line-up.  They released their upfronts on Thursday so I found out that Wednesday evening.

In previous interviews you spoke about your frustration with the network failing to see the potential in The Game. Was the cancellation a shock or did you expect it?

To be honest with you it wasn’t a shock to me.  I’ve been in this business since I was 14 years old and you pick up things and learn from past experiences. I remember working on Sister, Sister and knowing that it was the last season because they do a huge amount of production cuts, which is expected when you know that it’s the last season. Why would you want to spend money on something you know you’re not going to produce in the future? You want to save as much money for your other shows. It’s just a business kind of thing to do.  Also, promotion tends to stop. They just don’t put as much money into the show as before.  A lot of people were thinking maybe it’s just because it’s the third season, or that it’s an established show and I’m like, “No, that doesn’t usually happen.”  So, no, I wasn’t shocked.

The thought of fans is that The Game was canceled because it’s a Black show.  Do you think it was racism?

That’s a very hard question to answer.  I always have to look at everything in a positive way and that’s just my being. Some people say, “Why are you always smiling” or “Why are you so happy?”  Some people think it’s corny, but it’s not. It’s a choice I decided to make in life.  I feel truly blessed to have had a show for at least three years on a reputable network. That’s just difficult in any actor’s eyes. It’s tough to have two shows that are hits. Sister, Sister was a hit and The Game was a hit…and still is a hit. So I feel very blessed and honored to have had that experience.

Now to say if it’s racism, I don’t really know if I can answer that question, but I mean, it is what it is. What I will say is that certain shows did get more attention, certain shows did get more money put into their marketing, which it helps with ratings.  The Game was not getting that and we are a Black show. So if you want to put it that way and in that regard then we weren’t getting the same treatment as certain shows on the network were getting as far as marketing value, attention, and publicity. I can say that, but to blatantly say it’s racism — I don’t know if I can answer that question.

Do you have a favorite episode or moment from the show?

I would have to say my favorite episode or moment on the show is – excuse my language I don’t normally curse outside of jobs – “Turkey Basting Bitches” [Laughs]. It was a hilarious episode and I loved seeing the jealousy between Melanie and Derwin, because in the end they really love each other. They really care for each other and love each other, they’re just immature. I think that’s why fans loved the show so much because it was so relatable. It was like, “Oh my gosh, that’s what I do.” A lot of people seemed to relate, but I definitely loved that episode. It was fun, I thought it was written really well, it was great for me.tiam

House of Payne and Meet The Browns are the only shows with a predominantly Black cast airing on any network presently, and recently Spike Lee compared the sitcoms to minstrel shows.  What is your take on his comparison?

Wow, I did hear that he had said something about Tyler Perry but I didn’t know what he said [Laughs]. Oh my God, that’s horrible! One thing I absolutely love is that I’ve been able to play smart, independent, fun, loving, real down to Earth characters and I feel that I am blessed to be able to do that and that’s one of the main reasons why people love Mara [Brock Akil] and her writing. She writes these characters that are grounded, who are real, who are not perfect because there are people who want to see storylines tie up with a pretty little bow at the end, but that’s not life. I feel blessed to be able to play those characters. Now I really can’t speak on someone else’s opinion. I mean that’s his opinion, he’s entitled to his opinion, but Tyler Perry is bringing down the house. His shows are extremely successful and many people are watching them and that’s what networks look at. Networks look at the numbers – who’s watching what, how many people are watching, because it all boils down to advertising and money. We get half of House of Payne’s ratings, so if they’re putting out numbers then that’s what networks are gonna love and continue to put out there. I have to give Tyler props because he’s an amazing businessman and doing extremely well. And like I said, you have to look at the positive things; he’s putting many African-American actors to work and however you want to view that, that’s on you.

I love the show but some critics have accused The Game of reinforcing negative stereotypes.  I’ve read interviews with you where you talked about how much you loved the Melanie character because she didn’t play the typical wife or athlete girlfriend — what do you say to people who criticize the show?

What I’ve realized at 30 years old going on to 31 is that you can’t please everyone and to me that’s a good thing. If we were to please everyone then that means that we’re all the same and to me that’s boring. When you look at comedians and shows that are funny, they’re always playing into some type of stereotype. I mean, that’s comedy. If you don’t know that then you don’t know what comedy is. And everybody has a different view of comedy and what makes them laugh. Some people use profanity, some people don’t – ala Eddie Murphy, ala Sinbad. There are different audiences out there that relate to certain things and some relate to another thing. I think that’s where Mara was successful. The funny thing about the show is that all three of these girls are extremely different. Melanie was for the first two seasons the voice of reason. She was the one saying, “I’m not gonna do that,” “What are you guys doing?” and they were playing into the stereotypes. But when they played into the stereotypes it’s funny.

I’ve met a lot of football and basketball players who enjoy the show. They will admit that sometimes it’s exaggerated, but they were like it’s funny. That’s what’s funny about it. Some people may get it, some people may not.

Do you want The Game to be picked up elsewhere or would you rather move away from the project all together?

I would love for The Game to be picked up elsewhere. I told Mara that I’m not ready for Melanie to be over. I speak for all of the actors, there’s so much more to do with these characters, there’s so much more to find and dig. People love these characters, but not only do fans, so do the actors. I feel like Melanie has been my dream role because she’s a real person. It’s unbelievable where Mara has allowed me to go as an actress. Before The Game I couldn’t even get into an audition for a Hillary Swank movie, but The Game has opened up opportunities for people to see me in a different light.  Of course I want the show to go on, but not just because of that–  we work very well together, we’re very close and there’s so much more. The fans know that. I have never been put in this situation where fans have been so supportive of a show and everybody knows about it – the cast, Mara – The Game fans are the best fans.

In the event that the show is not picked up elsewhere what will you miss most about The Game?

Mostly, I’ll miss being under one roof with the cast and crew of The Game. If the show does go away, that will never happen again. You’ll never see everybody together working on the same project unless they make it a movie or something.

Is there anything else you have lined up for TV and film?

My sister and I are working on our production company right now. We’re like, shoot if Tyler Perry can do it, we can do it. We are doing a Lifetime movie together. I know I’ve been saying that for a while, but when projects start from the bottom and work its way up it takes time and years, but it’s pretty much almost greenlit so we should be shooting that at the end of this year or beginning of next year. I just finished shooting a video with Pleasure P. That was fun, he’s a sweetheart, he’s so nice. I also did a commercial for Sheer Cover, it’s a make up line that in my opinion is really good at tones for African-American women. So that’s what you guys can look out for me in the future so far.

Any last shout out to fans of the show?

I just want to thank the fans for supporting the show the way they do. Shout out to The Game Fanatic. Shout out to Matthew Cherry who did the “Save The Game” campaign. And shout out to the whole cast, because none of us had to do that. None of us had to be a part of a “Save The Game” campaign that had no affiliation with the network. It’s hard to get actors to do that and so just shout out to the cast. I love you guys, and whatever is meant to be will be, but the cool thing is that God always has your back.

The Game airs weekdays on BET at Noon/11c and 5pm/4c.  Click here to get your fix of all things The Game and discuss this interview on the message boards!

Comments

Joycelynn said on June 8th, 2009

Tia is so right! people love the characters of the game!

I cant believe Tyler Perry show are the only shows left with black casts

Its sad because those shows suck

MIRIAMWKNC said on June 8th, 2009

I love Michael and I am so happy he’s writing for BET blogs now. This was a great article. I’m sad to see The Game go. I watched all 3 season, but be encouraged Tia, God will open other doors for you and the cast.

Chris Cook said on June 8th, 2009

Bring the GAME to BET Please!! BET needs intelligent original programming to add to its lineup. Bring the GAME to BET please!

Patricia said on June 8th, 2009

All I can say is: http://tinyurl.com/p79jbh

keke?'su said on June 8th, 2009

PLEASE BET BRING “THE GAME” TO BET. THIS CAN BE A BIG DOOR OPENER FOR YOU GUYS. YOUR FIRST ATTEMPT WITH “SOMEBODIES” WAS A FAIL. PICKING UP SUCH A NATIONALLY WATCHED SHOW FROM ALL RACES, CAN BRING PPL THAT DON’T NORMALLY WATCH BET TO YOUR CHANNEL AND INCREASE RATINGS.

signatureladyjeff said on June 8th, 2009

Great interview! We still have a long way before things are the way that they should be in t.v. land. We should look at the bright side of things, why not do like certain others in Hollywood, start things of your own! Some times it’s requires blood, sweat, and tears but at least you are out when you decide that it’s time! Tia God does have our backs, we just need the world to recoginize it! Thanks for the 3 great seasons, I loved the show and will be looking for the series in DVD. Mr. Michael keep informing our t.v. viewers, these are great articles that help us to remember to take the time and effort to watch our own culture, and race of people put their stake in the market of television!

Signatureladyjeff!

toma2flyy said on June 8th, 2009

It was a great interview and I also feel THE GAME has more to come. B.E.T should pick the show and add to its line up. Honestly if it wasn’t for The Game I wouldn’t even watch B.E.T. Its not fair to just leave viewers hanging. Just when it got good they cancelled it. I vote for it to be picked up!

Jessica said on June 8th, 2009

pick up the game BET!!!!!!!!

Alisha A. said on June 8th, 2009

i love tia! i think she is so pretty and intelligent. and “The Game” is my favorite show!! for real for real. . i just got into twitter and started following tia and i love it. but i wasnt aware of the show being cancelled and now that i do im hoping and praying that BET will pick up “The Game” and i guarantee me and the rest of “The Game” fans will watch the new and old episodes faithfully!. . pleeeeaaase continue more seasons of the show because like Tia said, there is so much more that the characters have to go through. seriously. so please BET adopt the show asap. i cant get enough. lol. . if u can, Tia follow me on twitter. . MissLisha_Boo

Nikol said on June 8th, 2009

BET, please pick up THE GAME!!! This will be a great show to add to your line-up….I have been loyal fan; and there is so much that needs to happen before this show call it quits.

Please pick it up; this is a great Black show that should be picked up by a Black network.

sheilah said on June 8th, 2009

im sooo disappointed that they would cancel MY FAVORITE SHOW…like i feel so empty now on friday nights…so sad. Its incredible they would cancel it too when like everyone i knew watched it. it made me excited for fridays..i hope someone picks it up!

jamal said on June 8th, 2009

i love Tia…she is so right THE GAME has showed a different side of her…getting her more looks for deeper roles. But BET should pick up THE GAME…bcuz they kno they want to…PICK UP THE GAME BET!!!!1

BreezeyFbaby said on June 8th, 2009

hope tha show doesnt get cancelled,it help alot!

Darcy said on June 8th, 2009

This is a great interview. The Game is my favorite tv show and I was devastated to say the least at its cancellation. BET should definitely pick up the show. I think it would do wonders for the channel…..the reruns of the same movies and other tv shows and court tv is getting old. You need some new, current flavor and I think season 4 of The Game will be just that.

kira said on June 8th, 2009

BET BET BET PICK IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keda said on June 8th, 2009

Great article! This is a frustrating situation because “The Game” was funny, very entertaining, and dealt with a lot of different issues. It touched fans young, old, male, and female & for it to be cancelled with such a strong following does not make sense. It’s sad to say but in my opinion it is a race issue. But with that said I’m happy that Tia and the rest of the cast and crew are in good spirits and are staying positive. I hope things work out and the show some how gets picked up or better yet what Tia mentioned I hope it becomes a movie! I think that would draw in a HUGH audience and would take Mara and all the other actors on an even higher level.

Sunshine said on June 8th, 2009

I agree with the previous comments of BET picking it up. Most of the shows on BET I don’t watch because they are ridiculous and displays a lot of ignorance and drama. This would be a good one to have.

PrettySouthernGurl said on June 8th, 2009

Wonderful article, Michael!! I didn’t want it to end! It kills me to know that we’ll never know what would have become of ‘Merwin’ and the baby. And I agree with Tia, ‘Turkey Basting Bitches’ is my FAVORITE episode. The way Melanie and Derwin went at each other in the episode was hilarious! After 2 years, that epi is still on my DVR.

A said on June 8th, 2009

Please BET pick this show up for another season. PLEASE!! we need more shows like this on TV and what a better channel to have it on?

Sharone said on June 8th, 2009

Awesome Article. I really was sad to see The Game cancelled. It is a show my whole family watches and liked.. I really hop they get picked up by another network and get the marketing they deserve. I agree with other comments that I think if BET were to pick up this show it would be good for the network as well!

It’s worth considering!

Jessica said on June 8th, 2009

Hey i’m a big fan of The Game. I feel as though the show didn’t get much advertisment on the CW as did other shows such like Gossip Girl or 90210 did. The time slot they moved the show to (Fridays 8:30) made it impossible for all the viewers to watch. The CW did not support the show even when they knew they had a bunch of viewers who watched the show online. I want any other channel to pick this show up. Season 4 was going to be even better! I’m sad that we might not be able to see it. It’s not over yet…save the game!

W said on June 8th, 2009

I really want BET to pick up The Game plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I think the show is fabulous and will do a lot on the Black Entertainment Television

Michelle said on June 8th, 2009

I think it is sad that the show was cancelled. I read the interview with Tia and saw Spike Lee’s remark about House of Payne and Meet the Browns and until I read that it never shed light on that fact. It is sort of sad but true… takes us back to Good Times and such. We are past all of that now. Girlfriends and The Game both were good, well written shows with solid actors and it is sad that they are both gone. The Game was the one of the only shows I looked forward to and made a point to watch. TV has lost it’s luster to me with all the reality shows and the silly behavior of certain celebrities that get sensationalized. It was refreshing to see a show that took us back to the time of the sitcom where you followed the characters and actually felt for the characters. I hope that another station picks it up and I think it is a travesty that The CW cancelled something that was a diamond in the rough. it breaks my heart and makes me question a lot of things about society that I shouldn’t question in 2009.

LaDonna said on June 8th, 2009

I have never felt so in love with a show as The Game. Bet please do the African American one favor and pick this show up!!!!!!

Sade said on June 8th, 2009

PLEASE Bet pick up the game its a great show and i think it would have excellent rating and more plzzzz pick the game up….

Denise said on June 8th, 2009

I agree with Tia it is sad that we will not get to see the cast all again, so with that said I REALLY hope BET picks up The Game!

There are only reality shows on BET and reruns of other sitcoms, this would be a good look for African Americans and BET would definitely increase the number of viewers!

I HOPE BET PICKS UP THE GAME!

ess_elle404 said on June 8th, 2009

I truly like Tia as an actress and this was a great interview. BET truly needs to pick up The Game as it would help re-haul the network’s image. I stopped watching BET years ago except maybe here and there, but always watch the reruns for The Game. Yes, BET should Save THE GAME!

ryan said on June 8th, 2009

Pleeeeeaaaaassssseeeeee bring this show back people just started even realizing this show was on the air The CW did a poor job of marketing it plus they only had 2 shows with African Americans on it. When BET picked it up a lot more people became interested in it

stef said on June 8th, 2009

I hope BET would pick up the show….just dont take away from the essence of the show..BET likes to censor..ugh

Oxford Grad said on June 8th, 2009

Please bring the game to BET. So many fans loved it, and they didn’t get their just dues by being pushed to Friday nights and being canceled. We need well written storylines for African Americans.

Ashlei said on June 8th, 2009

BET Pick up The Game!!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSEEE!

Lena said on June 8th, 2009

Great interview! BET please pick this show for season 4. The fans need to see what unfolds with these characters.

W Alexander said on June 8th, 2009

There are so few positive shows out there that reflect the faces of young up coming African Americans. I feel that BET should pick up the show to in order to show they still have some commitment to positive images of African Americans.

Jacqui said on June 8th, 2009

What are you waiting for BET. This is a golden opportunity for the network to pick-up a show that has a great following. We need more than just re-runs and rap videos to make Black Entertainment Televison. And we aren’t all 14-25. Again I say Pick Up The Game!!!! It’s a smart business move.

veronica said on June 8th, 2009

BET PLEASE PICK UP THE GAME!!!!!
IT’s such a GREAT SHOW and will bring even more people to your audience!!!

Tanika said on June 8th, 2009

BET PICK UP THE GAME!! ITLL CHANGE TELEVISION AS YOU KNOW IT!!! PICK IT UP PICK IT UP

Temika McClarin said on June 8th, 2009

Hi! I just want to say that I loved this interview! I’m glad to hear what Tia Mowry had to say about the cancellation. I know it must of been really hard to go through all of that in just the 3rd season. It would be great if BET can pick up the show! I actually started watching “The Game” on BET and I’ve fallen in love w/ the show and the cast! I relate a lot to Melanie! Please BET, pick up this show and give them another chance! You won’t regret it!!!

SoulFlyingHigh said on June 8th, 2009

I never been one to campaign for show that was canceled before it’s time maybe I should have but I never seen a cast or crew of an about to be canceled campaign to save their show. I agree with Tia this show is yet to be done and I think BET should pick this show up and give this show the proper home it needs. The cast wants if and the fan definitely want it.

flygal21 said on June 8th, 2009

you must pick up The Game, BET!!

mskendle71 said on June 8th, 2009

I enjoyed the interview. I love the show The Game. I think Tia Mowery is a great actress. The Game cast is great. I hate to think that the show has ended. I hope that another station does pick it up. I believe it would be a great opportunity for BET. Also make it an hour!.

rihanna said on June 8th, 2009

B.E.T pllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz pick up the show (the game), its a great show. You have too…

MRS_d0t said on June 8th, 2009

The Game is my favorite show. For the past three seasons, that’s all I would watch. It’s one the best sitcoms I’ve seen in years. If BET picked this show up, it would do wonders for the network. Everyone obsessed with the ignorance of “reality” but The Game is more real than any of them. Regardless of how much money you have or who you’re in a relationship with, the issues they face occur in real life with some exaggeration but like Tia said, that’s where the comedy comes in. And through the seasons each character has grown, and there is still more room for more growth as we all as in the season finale. CW did a horrible job at marketing the show, but made sure people knew about “Gossip Girl”, “One Tree Hill”, and “90210″. Then they moved it to Friday night as if they expected it to fail. It’s a great show that BET should definitely pick up. I’m tired of not wanting to watch BET because of the monotony with that same movies, ignorance of College Hill. This is a network that has been around for years and was the only channel I would watch for a while. Now I just barely watch tv at all. What other tv show has ever had a fanbase wanting their voices to be heard in support of saving a We love this show and were trying to get other networks to pick it up. No disrespect to Tyler Perry but those two shows are lame. I would much rather watch The Game. This is a show that BET needs and should have!

Stephffany said on June 8th, 2009

Please pick up THA GAME on BET…. We need this SHOW!!!!!

Josh said on June 8th, 2009

BET needs to step up and pick up “The Game”…what are you all waiting for?

nene said on June 8th, 2009

BET DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH THE FANS LOVE THAT SHOW I MAKE IT HOME EVERY DAY TO BE ON TIME FOR THE SHOW.I LOVE THIS SHOW AND WHEN YOU KEEP GETTING DISAPPOINTED BET IS NOT GOING TO BE YOUR FAVORITE SHOW ANYMORE AIRING ALL THAT CORNY STUPID CRAP USUALLY MAKES PEOPLE TURN THE CHANNEL.I THINK ITS YOUR LOSS YOU HAD VERY TALENTED CAST MEMBERS ON THE SHOW THINK ABOUT ALL THE PEOPLE THAT LOVED THE SHOW ITS LIKE CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU PLEASE THE CUSTOMERS AND WE ARFE NOT PLEASESD EVERY TIME WE ARE ENJOYING ASHOW ITS CUT .

bambi said on June 8th, 2009

Bet can not afford the game so ya’ll can 86 that idea! All they can offord is those wack ass reality shows.

Babygyrlxxi said on June 8th, 2009

I love The Game. I was actively participating in the “Save the Game” campaign and was a faithful watcher of the show every week. BET Please pick up The Game for some more seasons. Tia said it best by noting that the show has yet to reach its full potential. We need to see some positive black characters on the screen every week!

Gutta said on June 8th, 2009

ok so since BET are interviewing Tia, they must have some interest. So lets stop beating around the bush and pick the Game up for a few seasons pleeeeeease! I gotta find out that Janae’s baby is NOT Derwin’s!

lol

Jessica said on June 8th, 2009

I really hope and pray BET picks up this show… it was so refreshing and the characters were ver relateable!!! I do not want it to end!! Just like Tia said, so much more depth to get into with the storyline for each character….. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

Nesh said on June 8th, 2009

This is my favorite show and I would hate for it to just end like this. Please continue to keep this show on air. Im looking forward to seeing it become more popular than it already is. I lovee this show and I will continue to support them :)

J said on June 8th, 2009

Great article! I pray that Tia is blessed more abundantly than she already has been and that her future endeavors go as planned. I must say Tyler Perry is incredibly talented – his plays were genius and majority of them I do very much like, most of the movies he makes have been good as well however some of them have been a bit subpar on the direction – maybe it’s a product of him trying to do it all. Now these TV shows are another story – House of Payne is absolutely ridiculous and in my opinion an insult to comedy. I tried to support the show several times just based on the strength that Tyler Perry created it however instead of laughing I found myself completely annoyed with the hidious attempts of comedic expression. The first season of Meet the Browns was somewhat funny, however the only character that made me laugh was Brown, and after seeing a few episodes this season it appears he is fresh out of jokes and it is turning into the modern day ministrel show Spike Lee spoke of. All this to say it is truly sad to see a QUALITY black comedy ripped from viewers in its peak. The Game fans were left on the edges of their seats week after week waiting to see what would happen next , and we are all keeping our fingers crossed that it will be picked up by a network (hopefully BET) so that we can once again see what happens NEXT. BET is the network that introduced a lot of fans to The Game, so for this network to pass up on the opportunity to make BET the home of The Game would be outrageous. The Game epitomizes what Black Entertainment Television should be! It is one million times better than any other show that has ever aired on BET. The sad thing is I just looked at my tv guide to find out what all comes on BET other than reruns, and you know what I found NOTHING smh – what went wrong over there??? You all have been reduced to airing the same tired old movies, old tv shows, 106&park (pleasently surprised they’ve surved the years), college hill(not even sure why college is in the title b/c i suppose education doesn’t adhere to perpetuating bafoonery), the deal(not even sure what the hell this is), and played by fame(which is funny sometimes, but most people aren’t up that late to watch it). BET seriously get it together and add some quality to your line up or change the name of the network because at this point it’s sort of embarassing that this is what what have to represent what black entertainment is. **This was so suppose to be a short post telling them to pick up The Game, but just turned into a tad more sorry**

Marquita A. said on June 8th, 2009

It was a sad day when the news of The CW cancelling The Game came about. BET, please pick up The Game on your network. ALL of the loyal fans will definitely support and follow. It is certainly the best show going and it would be a shame to lose it!

Teresa said on June 8th, 2009

Please pick up the game BET!!!! I would watch it all the time. You are already playing (and re-playing) the first two seasons, why not continue? You would get a lot of viewers.

Romeo P. Reese said on June 8th, 2009

B.E.T. Please bring back some quality TV to B.E.T. and pick up “The Game” Ratings will be of the meter!!!

meineke said on June 8th, 2009

I was so sad to hear about “The Game” getting cancelled. I wrote to CW and protested and I really hope BET or TBS picks up the show because I want to know whats going to happen to Kelly and Jason as well as Tasha and Rick. I want Tasha to be happy because she bitter over Chauncey. I want to find out if Dj is really Derwins baby and to see how Melanie and Janay interact no that the baby is here. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE pick up “The Game” somebody!!!!!!!!!!

Brit said on June 8th, 2009

BET!!!!!! PLEASE pick up The Game! Its give young African Americans like myself a different outlook on life. This shows opens new doors for black actors who dont have to play the “ghetto black girl” or the “thug”..but the Young women in “Med School”. It can help open the small minds of the world to see that black people aren’t bad people.

T-Bird in Covington, GA said on June 8th, 2009

I THINK BET SOULD PICK IT UP; HOW GREAT WOULD THAT BE!!!

zahara said on June 8th, 2009

ok ok ok. normally i never write on these blog sites. but i LOVE the game. i love derwin and melanie!!! i really want their role to grow and she where they go… ( i hope janay is lying about derwin being her baby daddy lol)

I want jason and kelly to get back together too!!!

ok ok ok. BET pick it up NOW.. thats the best thing you can do!!! clearly there are fans and you will get the ratings CW is too dumb to realize that right now. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.. and hurry up i’m getting impatient lol…

breezzyy said on June 8th, 2009

pick up the game BET what are yall doin do u knw yo ratings would do better

Imani said on June 8th, 2009

BET should pick up the Game..I like the show, and even though it won’t be on network television, it deserves to be on some type of tv.

LaTonya said on June 8th, 2009

Please pick up The Game!! I really love this show and I was very upset when I found out it was cancelled! Please!!!!!

La Toya said on June 8th, 2009

there’s so much that can be done with The Game… so why doesn’t BET just pick it up… it WILL attract alot of viewers… The show, the cast, and directors deserve this… so please, pick up the show BET… I’ve been writing to you guys and alot of other networks about picking up the show, and i think it’s best for BET to do it… there’s people like me that need this show… it’s so realistic… i could relate to so much of those episodes… so please don’t turn ur back on this too… put them in ur line-up, u won’t regret it at all…

madelyn said on June 8th, 2009

BET definitely needs to pick up The Game

V. Rey said on June 8th, 2009

BET please pick up The Game!!! This is a very good show and it relates to so many people, especially in the African-American community. I’m sure ratings are high since the re-runs of the game airs on BET already. This is a show that does not need to go away but needs to keep running and has a promising future. Pick up The Game BET!!!!

edmarie from florida said on June 8th, 2009

BET!…PLease pick up the game. The show is too good not to be on the air. Like the article says it didn’t get to reach it’s full potential. I really don’t understand why the CW got rid of it, but now it’s BET’s chance to steal away a great show. Plus, The Game has a perdominatly black cast and great comedy. PLease, PLease, PLease pick up The Game.

perion said on June 8th, 2009

This is a nice and very funny show. I really think BET should bring it to the network. The new episodes could air right after 106 & park everyday. Please bring it to BET

rosanna v. said on June 8th, 2009

omq , these networks are out of their mind if they dont pick up “the qame” for another season. This show is one of the best i’ve seen in a lonq time. I swear i’ll stop watchinq bet if they stop airinq this show.

Brit said on June 8th, 2009

“The Game” is a wonderful show, and I would love for BET to pick up the show!

TEETEE87 said on June 8th, 2009

I’ve been a fan of The Game since the beginning, and I believe that it was a very big mistake on CW network to cancelle this show. I also believe that it did have a great deal to do with race. Look what happened to Girlfriends, not even a season finale. They took The Game off, why? to bring on Melrose Place or some other show with the same story line of every other sitcom about teeens and one token black person. Gossip Girls, Melrose Place, 90210,etc. Its all the same thing. What other sitcome (that has not been cancelled) is close in similarity to The Game? None! I believe that with the same actors and writers the show would definitely be great elsewhere. Perhaps BET! The network is already airing the reruns why not? I mean BET is the best place for The Game at this point. They have no sitcoms and obviuosly needs something new, because they continue to show the same movies and rerun shows time and time again. It will be good for The Game and the BET network. Is anyone with me on this?

Denise said on June 8th, 2009

PLEASE PICK UP THE GAME BET!!!!!

jasmine said on June 8th, 2009

BRING THE GAME BACK…PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhonda said on June 8th, 2009

BET please pick up The Game for a fourth season!

kelsey said on June 8th, 2009

BET please pick up “The Game”!!! It is one of my favorite series on television. I watch the re-runs, and hear and talk the ‘gossip’ with friends about the new episodes. I would really appreciate it also if yall would pick it up considering I don’t have CW. It’s not an important station, unlike BET!!! I believe yall would be making a wise decision if you do what so many ppl are begging you to do. Bet please pick up “The Game” and make so many ppl young and old some happy VIEWERS!!!!!

Shannon said on June 8th, 2009

If you are smart BET, you will pick up “The Game” for Fall 2009.

jess said on June 8th, 2009

please pick up The Game! it’s an amazing show!

ree ree said on June 8th, 2009

i love THE GAME, come on BET please pick it up. I never miss an episode.

Alecia said on June 8th, 2009

Pick up The Game on BET! It’s already in syndication on your channel so I know you can see that it’s a quality show!

Denise said on June 8th, 2009

Bring back The Game for another season on BET! People love the show and if you promote it, they’ll watch!

Rez Burna said on June 8th, 2009

Pick it up BET.

Lisa said on June 8th, 2009

OMG I love The Game! Please pick it up on your network!

Nikki B said on June 8th, 2009

I believe that if BET picks The Game up and give it enough advertisement and a great time slot {things The CW weren’t willing to do} it ratings will go through the roof, and show the CW what they are missing. But as for the CW what show is there for tthe African- American community to watch? NOTHING. But anyway I strongly urge BET to pick up The Game, because this show rocks and there are so many places you can take the story.

TaylorShanice said on June 8th, 2009

Man. It is so sad to see the game go. Me and my friends love that show. All the Drmam between Derwin and Melanie and the 40 million dollar man Malik. [LOL] its going to be difficult trying to find another favorite show on t.v. We learned a lot about real life situations by watching that show. I wish BET could really pick it up. I can tell you that plenty people would highly appreciate it. I know me and my friends will. If you pick it up I promise you you won’t have to worry about any ratings dropping, they’ll do nothing but escalate. Everyone loves The Game. I just hope you love it enough to Pick it up. PLEASE PICK IT UP BET. PLEASE !!!!!!!

Candice said on June 8th, 2009

Thanks for the interview.
I hope that BET picks up “The Game.”

shine said on June 8th, 2009

the game is awesome bet pick up the show please i need to know what happens with jayne and the baby dj.

Mallory said on June 8th, 2009

BRING THIS SHOW BACK. ALL THE OTHER SHOWS ON THE CW NETWORK ARE PURELY GARBAGE… TOO MANY REALITY SHOWS, IT’S NOT FAIR.

Jasmine said on June 8th, 2009

BET PLEASE give The Game a chance!!

nae said on June 8th, 2009

please please please pick up the game BET!

nika said on June 8th, 2009

PLEASE PICK UP THE GAME!!!!!

T Brown said on June 8th, 2009

PLEASE PICK UP THE GAME…WE NEED AT LEAST ONE MORE SEASON!

Pattty Thomas said on June 8th, 2009

I can’t believe the CW is canceling the Game. That really upsets me, I LOVE this show, the characters are real and alive. BET PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pick it up. There are tons of faithful fans that will support this decision.

TJ89 said on June 8th, 2009

BET should definitely pick up The Game! It’s too great of a show to lose! The characters are real. The show is funny yet serious and great acting and great writing! This show could help break-out BET!.

susan said on June 8th, 2009

this show is the BEST show ever…and i am not just saying that…really…this show shows all aspects of life and everyone can relate to it one way or another…PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pick up the show…

Marie said on June 8th, 2009

Great interview.
BET Please pick up The Game!!

Chanell said on June 8th, 2009

Is soooooo pissedthat The Game is canceled. I hope that BET picks it up and that its a hour long because I love that show.

Nicholas said on June 8th, 2009

Bring The Game to BET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lizzie Reed said on June 8th, 2009

I don’t even know what’s there to consider. Pick up this show BET. You need it about as much as it needs you. I love the College Hill show and Baldwin Hills but that’s about it BET. You are slipping and I barely watch your network as it is unless its for BET awards. What were you thinking with that Somebodies show? Get it together and pick up this show along with some new more interesting relatable shows. Or your people will be looking for work.

Miranda said on June 8th, 2009

I think BET should pick up The Game. It is a great show. Im glad I’m able to watch older episodes on BET. My dvr is full of episodes. Seeing the show continue would be wonderful. I feel the show has so much more to say.

Lauryn Holden said on June 8th, 2009

BET please pick-up THE GAME!!! The show has an absolutely loyal fanbase and we are willing to follow the show where ever it airs! PLEASE GIVE US BACK THE GAME!!!

Sherry said on June 8th, 2009

I LOVE THE GAME! BET PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEEEEEE pick it up!!!