Listen Up!: Vashawn MitchellPublished by Torrence Glenn on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at 7:09 pm.
So it’s the day all of us have been waiting for. I’ve made no secret about being slightly partial this release and you can sue me if you want to, but that’s quite alright. I knew from the recording a year ago that this CD would be a hit and after listening to the final copy, my predictions were confirmed. (E. Bernard Jordan don’t want it for my prophetic skills! Jokes!)
But seriously, I’m ridiculously excited about the release of Vashawn Mitchell’s new CD “Triumphant” which is in stores and online everywhere RIGHT NOW! In June I celebrated (unofficially) 10 years in the entertainment business and about 6 years in the area of music specifically and after a while a lot of what you do begins to jumble together and the “moments” are what stick out and last for you. And those times that stick with you are when you realize that you’re experience a “game changing” moment, either for yourself or someone else. With the release of “Triumphant” I’m excited because I feel like the game has officially changed for Vashawn. They say that the 3rd time is the charm, and with this album, I think “they” are absolutely right.
But let me stop going in over it before y’all think I got paid to say it! But make sure you listen to “Triumphant” and if you love it as much as I do, click on the iTunes links that’s RIGHT THERE and buy it. Or get it from whereever it is you like to buy your music! The entire CD is great but my stand out tracks would have to be:
1. “Nobody Greater” – You already know why, no need for explanation. Worship and *whoosh* at it’s finest.
2. “You Reign” – Listen to those backgrounds!
3. “Just Another Day” – A fun yet smooth Praise & Worship song that maintains some gospel “guts.” Songs like this make me miss being a Minister of Music. There’s a lot of church material here, but this especially would easily be in my praise team’s repertoire.
4. “His Blood Still Works” – The lyrics are perfectly simple but have just the right amount of punch to send you straight to the carpet. Add Lisa Page-Brooks with some of the most anointed and deliberate singing I’ve ever heard and you might as well just go and lay down and wait for the ushers. (Check out the exclusive video here!)
5. “Be Fruitful” – ijdiapdiapidpayk;a eaidpaudipaudk;ajhd;aifda;ja (Sorry, everytime I hear “It’s not only your time but your turn” my fingers lose all control and begin to shout up and down the keyboard…deal with it.)
6. “Can’t Take My Joy Away” – I call this Vashawn’s R&b song and I love every bit of it. This song reminds you that he’s every bit a Chicago native and knows how to get the “steppers” on the floor.
7. “Triumphant” – Again, it’s all about the groove!!!!
8. “Now Be Restored” – Years from now, we’ll reference this song similarly to the way we do Donald Lawrence and Richard Smallwood tracks. Classic!